Truth or emotion?

Photo by Taylor Baucom


There are many stumbling blocks on the path of suffering - potholes carefully crafted by the enemy of your soul to trip you up (I Peter 5:8).  I believe the strongest force working against us is our emotions.  We allow them to dictate our truth.  For example, does what you feel convince you you’re not strong enough and to give up fighting?  Does it take away your hope and cause fear when the doctor calls with bad news?  Does it keep you in bed when the depression sets in?  Does your sorrow give you permission to shut people out?  Do you justify being unkind to your spouse or kids because you’re hurting?  Does your anger give way to doubt that God is good?

Yep.  Been there.  And still go there some days because it’s our truth in that moment!  And it hurts!  But the only thing self- pity does is hand you a shovel to dig yourself deeper.  Our emotions, especially in the raw, early times of our suffering can absolutely define our truth.  Our minds don’t know how to process what has happened and the only real thing to us is how we feel.

During the first week of our daughter Gena’s stay in the hospital she was intubated, on a breathing machine with a tube down her throat.  Because of her spinal cord injury her lungs were not functioning properly and she couldn’t take big enough breaths to stave off pneumonia.  She had a feeding tube down her nose and couldn’t talk because of the breathing tube in her mouth.  One day the doctor took her off the breathing machine to see how she would do on her own (after I begged him for days to do this).  Not 4 hours later her lungs collapsed and that breathing tube went back in.  Not only that but they told us she would need a trach most likely the rest of her life (breathing machine through her neck).  My emotional truth at that moment was “What the heck, God?!!!!!  Isn’t it bad enough that she can’t walk?  Now she has to be on machines her whole life? I hate you!”  Yep.  Hate.  Enter in depression and shut down.  I was numb to everyone and everything, including my 2 year old and my husband.  You know what happened a few days later?  She got that tracheotomy and was able to eat real food and talk to us for the first time in a week!  She was able to start physical therapy and get out of her bed.  Guess what happened three weeks after that?  That trach was taken out and her lungs recovered!  Now all you see is a little scar on her throat from the whole ordeal.  

Our emotions will carry us to the darkest places!  Our feelings can cloud our ability to see beyond our own nose.  But truth, God’s truth, can carry us to His All Powerful, All Knowing and Present Everywhere, love for us.  Listen to me friends, do not allow your emotions to carry you away from what the real Truth is!  

Step one towards feeding truth into your soul: Start your day with the Word and put your armor on (Ephesians 6:13-18)!  As soon as you open your eyes in the morning and declare, if only by faith, that today you will allow God to rule your day.  Find a scripture or a hymn that speaks truth and recite it a few times.  Before anyone or anything has the opportunity to derail you, invite the Lord to guide, strengthen and encourage you.  It’s a simple act.  But it does two things.  1. It allows real truth in before the lies of emotion flood your heart.  2. It brings you directly to the heart of your Heavenly Father who’s waiting to hold your hand through the day (Isaiah 41:13).   What God has in store is so much better than what your emotions are telling you!  

Below are a few verses I have found to be my truths on those days when I have the shovel of self-pity in my hand.


Isaiah 41:10
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.  Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

Psalm 118:24
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.

Phil 1:6
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.  
He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.  
He renews my strength. 
He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.  
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.  
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.  
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.  
You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.  
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.








Comments

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please share your thoughts with me and how this post touched your heart.

Popular Posts