Relaxation Technique

Somewhere along the way I learned a trick to help my mind and body relax at night.  I lay flat on my back, inhale slowly through my nose and exhale out of my mouth, repeating this several times.  I then begin relaxing each tiny muscle starting with toes, then my foot, my ankle, my calf, knee and so on all the way up to top of my head.  I also taught this to my kids and we use it when they are sick or when they are upset or anxious about something.  It really works!  It makes you feel like you are melting into the bed.

What amazes me every time are the small muscle groups that are in need of un-tensing.  My hands, eyebrows and jaw are always surprisingly tense!

I recently read a devotional that talked about "relaxing your heart muscle" - allowing peace to enter in and letting go of the intense grip fear, anger and hurt have on us.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil 4:6-7

I couldn't help but think of the relaxation technique:  mine relaxes our physical man but this relaxes our spiritual man!  The process is even the same: stop, breath and release each fear, hurt and worry to Jesus.  When we surrender our grip on those things, peace can start to enter in.

To read more about the topic of surrender check out: "Surrendering to your Thorn"

Comments

Popular Posts