Wide Awake?

Sleepless night? Yep, me too. This is an all too familiar occurrence for me. I went a couple years of just 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night. I was doing well for many months and then BAM! Two days in a row of tossing and turning. It’s maddening to not be able to sleep, isn’t it? For me I find myself in a perpetual cycle of fighting my human nature to worry, speculate about the future, and worry some more. Enter pity-party.
We always have a choice in these moments. We can wallow in that pity-party. Or, we can refuse the thoughts, pray, repeat the name of Jesus and over again and try relaxation techniques. But what about the nights like tonight when it doesn’t work? What do we do then? I know what I do. I start to get mad at God for not helping me. And then I really start to spiral. Yep, Satan has his hold now. Now he can really work.
Tonight I decided that I was not going to let the cycle drown me. It’s 2:47am. I got a cup of hot decaf tea, put my earbuds in, am listening to worship music, and writing. I let the cycle envelop me for too long. I WILL NOT allow it again.
Together let’s fight this! Here’s what the Lord is saying to me, and to you tonight. Instead of blaming God for not helping you, imagine it another way. Like Peter in the boat during the storm, Jesus is standing in the water, asking you to walk towards him. His hand is outstretched saying “Come closer! I am right here next to you.” It’s that extra step of faith and determination that He wants us to take. When the war against us is waged with as much hate and fury as Satan can muster, we need to find the fight inside of us to push back. Satan is relentless, we need to be too. Friends I believe with all my heart that there are times when the Holy Spirit just comes in and fixes it. But, there are moments when Jesus wants us to be a warrior, courageous and filled with faith to walk on the water towards him.
If you are fighting a battle tonight to find peace in your storm, get up, find your Bible, find your music and push back!
What did Jesus do when he was tempted by Satan in the wilderness? He fought back, repeatedly. He quoted scripture! Check out the story in Matthew 14:22-33.


Psalm 23 NLT
The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessing. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

Comments

Popular Posts