When you get handed another rock



Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power 
at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we 
might ask or think.     Ephesians 3:20

The weight of it all is too much to bear.  You just started to feel better and began to see the light at the end of the tunnel and then… another rock gets added to your load. It feels so much heavier this time.  Exhaustion will do that.  

You’re not alone, my friend.   Listen to what we find in scripture about heavy loads:

Psalmist in 118:25
“Please, Lord, please save us.  Please, Lord, please give us success.”

Moses to God  (Exodus 4:13)
But Moses again pleaded, 'Lord, please! Send anyone else.'”

Apostle Paul during a prolonged sickness (2 Corinthians 12:8)
“Three times I begged the Lord to take it away.”

David in Psalm 42:3
"Day and night I have only tears for food, while my enemies continually taunt me, saying “Where is this God of yours?”

Jeremiah (Lamentations 3:16-18)
“He has made me chew on gravel.  He has rolled me in the dust.  Peace has been stripped away … Everything I had hoped for from the Lord is lost!”

Israelites as the Egyptian army approached (Exodus 14:11)
“’Why did you bring us out here to die in the wilderness? Weren't there enough graves for us in Egypt? What have you done to us? Why did you make us leave Egypt?’”

Job after he lost everything (Job 3:25-26)
“For I cry inside myself in front of my food. My cries pour out like water.  What I was afraid of has come upon me. What filled me with fear has happened.  I am not at rest, and I am not quiet. I have no rest, but only trouble.”

Jesus while on the cross (Matthew 27:46)
“My God, my God why have you abandon me?”


Do you feel it?  

The ache and yearning of their spirits? 

Have you said similar things?

As I sit here writing this I struggle to find a nice neat answer to your pain that’s wrapped up in a nice neat package.  When you feel this way, nice neat answers don’t cut it, do they? So instead I’m going to show you what else happened in these stories.  Take each word in.


Psalmist in 118:6
In my distress I prayed to the Lord, and the Lord answered me and set me free.  The Lord is with me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?

What God did through Moses because he obeyed (Exodus 14:21-22)
Then Moses raised his hand over the sea, and the Lord opened up a path through the water…turning the sea into dry land.  So the people of Israel walked through the middle of the sea on dry ground, with walls of water on each side!

God’s response to Paul’s sickness (2 Cor 12:9)
Each time he (Jesus) said , “My grace is all you need, My power works best in weakness.”

David (Psalm 42:5,11)
Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again, my Savior and my God!

Jeremiah (Lamentations 3:22-24)
The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease.  Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.  I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!”

Moses to the Israelites (Exodus 14:13)
…Don’t be afraid.  Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today.

Job at the end of his story (Job 42:5-6)
I had only heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes.

Jesus after the Resurrection (Luke 24:46-47)
Yes, it was written long ago that the Messiah would suffer and die and rise from the dead on the third day…There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.

Do you feel it?  

The hope. The victory. The rejoicing of their spirits?

This too is your future!







Comments

Popular Posts