Weightless

The kid's bus drove away, living room still morning-dim, slippers still on my feet, "Maybe if I eat breakfast and have coffee I won’t feel like going back to sleep?"

Sadly my english muffin and coffee did not get this girl into the shower.  

Couch - 1. Shower - 0.

Most days the warrior woman in us climbs mountains, run races and pushes forward.   But there are some days… the days when the weight of life crush our spirit.  We feel pulled down and we succumb to our feelings, becoming… immobile.

While sitting on the victorious couch this morning I picked up my phone, opened up my email and thought, “Jesus I need to hear from you today.”   As I was scrolling through one of my devotionals I subscribe to, a simple truth emerged.

We can find it in Matthew 18:1-3.  In verse 1 the Disciples find Jesus, sit him down and ask him this profound question, “Who is the greatest in heaven?”  Jesus pauses, looks around, and calls a child over to sit with them.   Then He answers the Disciples, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.”  (emphasis mine)

Here were the Disciples, sitting with Jesus, iPad in hand ready to take notes.  But Jesus, as he often did, switches things up.  He brings over a child in a time in history when children were seen as lowly, weak and a nuisance.  Jesus sits the child right in the middle of them and says, in essence - Fellas, the way to heaven, the way to my heart is through the uninhibited love, effortless trust and unwavering devotion only a child can give.

Talk about a mic-drop moment.  I’m pretty sure they weren’t expecting Him to say that.

Frankly, that wasn’t what I wanted to hear either.  When I told Jesus this morning that I needed to hear from Him I wanted answers, direction or even a little writing on the wall would work!  Instead of profound answers, He offered me His simple truth:  "Humbly come to me like a care-free child.  Leave all your weight behind."  Siting on my couch, sitting at His feet, I allowed His simple touch to soak into my heart.  I was suddenly un-weighted and motivated to move again!

When life is complicated isn't it just like Jesus to strip it down to the simple truths of His word?  Simple enough to understand but perfectly profound to reach the deepest parts of us.  

Friend, take this comfort for yourself today.   If you are feeling crushed under your circumstances, humble yourself like a child and sit with Jesus for a few minutes.  Let him un-weight your heart.





Comments

Popular Posts